Uninteresting stuff about Shannon and Family

This is the story of several family members picked to live in a house and blog of their seemingly boring lives.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Learning a new culture.

I had the pleasure over the weekend to learn about a new culture. I was witness to a Hindu Wedding Ceremony. Although I could not understand a word of what was being spoken, this was by far the most beautiful wedding ceremony I have every seen. I was so happy that the guests invited me in and actually took the time to explain what was happening and then thanked me for taking the time to learn about their culture. Believe me I enjoyed the experience. I also actually got to take part. There is a custom where the grooms men take the grooms shoes and hide them, and it is the brides sisters job to steal the shoes, then the groom has to pay a significant amount of money to get them back. One of the guests had the shoes and asked me to help hide them. Since I was MOD again this weekend we hid them in my room. I was pretty sure that the brides sisters would not find them there. I am very happy to report that the groom did receive his shoes without having to pay for them. What a beautiful culture, I can't wait to learn more.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Susan Gets Native said…

    I think I was an Indian in a former life. They have such a rich culture. They know how to do weddings, don't they?
    Thanks for letting me see the room. Did they get it all done in time?

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Believe it or not we pulled it off. Even the tight turn around from the ceremony to reception. It was really something to see. Thanks for coming down and having dinner with me. I need some Susan time. I always feel so grounded when you are around.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home