Uninteresting stuff about Shannon and Family

This is the story of several family members picked to live in a house and blog of their seemingly boring lives.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

What is with today's teens???

At the risk of sounding my age, not to mention upsetting some of my friends and relatives there is something that I need to get off my chest. ATTENTION PARENTS OF TEENAGERS: CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF YOUR TEENS NEED PARENTS. REAL PARENTS THAT ARE NOT AFRAID OF DISCIPLINE. THEY DO NOT NEED ADULT FRIENDS THAT THEY CALL MOM AND DAD!!! Now I am going to give you some insight into my teenage years. (Susan stop laughing.) As you all know my best friend is Susan. We spent a lot of time together plotting the next stupid, thoughtless, death defying stunt we were going to pull. The one thing that I can say, even though Eileen (Susan's Mom), was considered "the cool Mom", she still didn't put up with our crap. When we got out of line, she yanked us back to reality. We got a lot of the silent treatment and a few of her famous one liners like - "you girls are getting a little big for your britches." That comment by the way is one of my personal favorites. When did we decide that being a "friend" instead of a parent was a good idea? Let's face it. Teenagers are going to be teenagers. If you really think that because you are your daughters "friend" that she will confide in you all the things that she talks to her real friends about. GET A CLUE!!! That is not going to happen!! Now more than ever your teens need a parent. They need guidance. They need someone to talk to them about drugs, smoking, sex, aids, etc. etc. Believe me they are talking about those things with their friends. The reason they need the truth from you is because YOU ARE THE ADULT AND YOU KNOW THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT THESE SUBJECTS. You know the dangers and the consequences. They do not and neither do their friends. So while you are being their friend, someone else is educating them about the things they should be being taught at home. Which brings me to my next subject. YOUR TEENAGERS CAN SURVIVE WITHOUT A CELL PHONE!!!! I did and I'm not scarred for life. How about you Susan?

1 Comments:

  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Susan Gets Native said…

    I agree with every point you make. And as to the cell phones, parents think that they are buying them to "keep in touch" with their kids, so they "know where they are at all times"????? Unless you surgically implant a GPS device up your teen's ass, you DON'T know where they are unless you are with them! Kids with cell phones make me sick. You know what they are doing with those cell phones? They aren't thinking about calling Mom and Dad...they are plotting when they can meet up with a boyfriend or skip school or get away with something. Jeez...when I think what Shannon and I would have been like with cell phones...
    Has anyone seen the teen pregnancy statistics lately????? Why do you think teens are such a mess? Because SOME parents are too chicken-shit to parent. A wise man once said:
    "Disipline is not the enemy of enthusiasm"
    Get off your ass and parent. Being "friends" is the lazy way out.
    Example from my life as a teenager: Every time I lied to my parents as to where I was and who I was with, I was doing something really wrong and potentially dangerous.
    Now that I am a parent, I get it. I get why my parents were so stressed out about me. They weren't trying to be my friends. They weren't trying to raise a child...they were trying to raise an ADULT.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home